My obsession with finding just the right protein/bliss balls to snack on while I go about my writerly tasks, has taken me to consuming mountains of the little lovelies in the name of research.
This version I found in a supermarket magazine. I tweaked it a little as the original recipe found the mixture to be quite wet to work with. I also keep these in the freezer, so it's almost like having a mouthful of ice cream at 10.30 in the morning.....you are welcome.
2 cups of raw cashew nuts
15 pitted dates (I upped it a smidge)
250g fresh strawberries, hulled
1/2 cup coconut oil (my two bobs worth)
2 tbs white chia seeds
1/4 cup desiccated coconut for coating
1. Process the cashew nuts in a food process to a fine meal consistency. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add dates to processor and pulse until finely chopped.
3. Add strawberries and pulse until chopped.
4. Return cashews, coconut oil and chia seeds to the processor and whiz until combined.
Now more of my two bobs worth...
5. Pop mixture in the fridge to firm up for about 30 minutes. This makes it easier to roll into balls.
6. Line a tray with baking paper. Place desiccated coconut in a bowl. With slightly damp hands, roll tablespoons of mixture into balls. Toss in coconut to coat.
7. Place on tray and set in freezer for 1-2 hours.
8. Keep in airtight container in the freezer for a sneaky treat or to have with a cup of tea while downloading the latest episode of House of Cards (another obsession).
Enjoy lovely people!